November 14, 2022
We are doing everything we can to support small businesses in West Northamptonshire as we approach Saturday 3rd December for this year’s small business.
There are over twenty thousand small businesses operating in the region, offering a wide range of products and services to meet most needs.
West Northamptonshire Council (WNC) is asking organizations to share a video showcasing their business and explaining why people should buy locally and support small businesses.
We’ve put together a quick “how to” guide to help even the most novice videographer create engaging content to spotlight as many West Northants businesses as possible.
We’re here to promote local businesses and will share videos including all events and offers on our channels, so tag @westnorthants on Facebook or Twitter and @West Northamptonshire Council on LinkedIn and use the hashtag #SmallBizSatUK.
The first Small Business Saturday in the UK was held in 2013 and since then the event has gone from strength to strength.
The campaign aims to highlight the success of small businesses and encourages consumers to “shop local” and support small businesses in their communities.
The day itself takes place on the first Saturday of December each year, but the campaign aims to have a lasting impact on small businesses.
To ensure residents and visitors can explore all businesses in West Northants, all employers are encouraged to register on the free app, Explore West Northants.
The app showcases everything you can enjoy all year round at West Northants, from independent businesses to cultural attractions and local events.
“Small Business Saturday is a great way to showcase what our amazing small businesses do.
“We have amazing independent retailers, family restaurants, pubs, cafes, tourist attractions and activity centers in our area – there really is something for everyone.
“However, we want to make sure we celebrate our small businesses all year round – that’s why we encourage businesses to use all the free support and advice available so they can really showcase their business to the widest audience. possible – which is available through our WNC Economy team.
“So please join us as we approach this year’s Small Business Saturday and take part in our activities and let us help you get the word out about your business and all the amazing businesses that West Northants has to offer. to offer.”
Cllr Daniel Lister, WNC Cabinet Member for Downtown Economic Development, Regeneration and Growth,
A range of free webinars are available to help businesses with everything from creating TikToks and growing an online business to better managing time and money.
WNC also offers a wide range of business support throughout the year, including:
- Business growth
- Access funding
- Employment, skills and recruitment
- Help starting a new business
- A Business Toolbox filled with useful documents
Visit our Small Business Saturday page or contact us at [email protected] or on 01327 322230 to find out more.
Content creation for Small Business Saturday
WATCH: Cllr Daniel Lister, WNC Cabinet Member for Economic Development, Regeneration and Town Center Growth, talks more about Small Business Saturday in West Northants.
Small Business Saturday takes place on December 3 and we encourage fantastic independent outlets like yours to share videos of your business on social media, to shine a light on all that West Northamptonshire has to offer.
It might sound daunting, but filming can be done quickly and easily on your smartphone, helping you show off your business and interact with potential customers.
These great examples of company-produced videos might inspire you, but we’ve also put together some tips to help:
Planning your video
A good video is part of planning and preparation. Decide if you want to shoot your selfie-style video, if you want a colleague to film you, or if you just want to show your products on film while you provide a voiceover.
You may be feeling too shy to appear on film, but remember that videos with people are more engaging on social media.
If you don’t know what to say, why not use the following as a guide:
- Present your business
- Where are you located in West Northants?
- How long have you been here?
- What do you sell?
- What is a popular product?
- What makes your store unique?
- Why should a customer visit your store?
- What are you most proud of?
- Can you describe the experience of visiting your store?
- What is your favorite thing about owning a business in West Northants?
You don’t need to answer all the questions – choose the ones most relevant to your business.
Shooting your video
Here are some things to consider when shooting the video:
- Light – Can you increase the light in the room? It may look bright to the human eye, but your phone’s camera may be struggling.
- Move your subject so that they are facing the light source and their face is the brightest part of the image.
- Background – Look at the background of what you are filming and think about how it represents your business. What can you see? Is it clean? Does the entire frame represent the message you want it to convey?
- Noise – limit background noise and avoid filming outside if there is traffic or wind.
- Hold your phone – Hold your phone upright in portrait mode, as this style of video has a higher social media engagement rate. If you get a static shot, try to keep the phone upright and level and consider using a small tripod or something to prop the phone up on.
- Smile… and relax – if you are on camera, try to be as relaxed as possible and project your smile all over your face and eyes.
Share your video
If your video needs to be trimmed, you can usually do so using the camera app on your smartphone camera, although we’ve also provided a list of free editing apps below.
So please share it on your social media accounts. Be sure to tag us on Facebook or Twitter and @West Northamptonshire Council on LinkedIn and use the hashtag #SmallBizSatUK.
We can then share your videos on our channels to spread the word!
Free video editing software
BUSINESS1 month ago
Westerham-based financial planning company buys first firm
FINANCE1 month ago
ESFA Update further education: 19 October 2022
AUTO MOBILE1 month ago
Chicago Drives Electric event in Oakbrook Terrace showcases latest EVs, with cars from Chevy, Ford, Volkswagen and more
WORLD1 month ago
Costco is selling ‘world’s largest’ jigsaw puzzle at 29 feet
HEALTH1 month ago
Vergeire not offered DOH chief post, admits reservations